Saturday, December 09, 2006

Who's There?

Knock-knock-knock-knock

...pause...

Knock-knock-knock-knock

I wondered why my mysterious early-morning visitor didn't ring the bell.

Knock-knock-knock-knock

I looked out the window and saw that nobody was at the front door. Hmm? To get to our back door you have to go through or over a locked fence into our back yard. This must be one industrious early-morning visitor.

Nobody was at the back door either.

Knock-knock-knock-knock

The knocking was twice as loud as it usually sounds when someone raps on our door to get our attention. What a mystery! Could it be that the rabbits were chewing a stick and it was knocking against an inside wall loudly? I chased down the little potential culprits, but discovered them peaceably napping under the piano.

Knock-knock-knock-knock

This time I crept up to the front door and peeked carefully out its window. There, on the front porch wall, was a large orange and brown flicker! Flickers are my favorite kind of woodpecker, because their bright orange striped and spotted feathers are so beautiful. This guy appeared to be about a foot long, or tall, or however one refers to the size of a bird. He was pecking away on our wall, which explained why the sound resonated throughout the house.

I moved. He saw me, and flew off.

Checking for holes where he pecked, I discovered the tattered remnants of a wasp nest. Good woodpecker! Wasps are wonderful things, except around our doorways. The wall behind the nest appears to be hole-free. Good woodpecker!

I'm pleased to know our house is so delicious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

blessed be the birds ~

They love your home for its innate deliciousness but mostly because they know you love them in return.

blessed be the bonnie ~

Anonymous said...

Hey Bonnie,

I read the last couple of entries. Don't know all the details. But the rapping at your door seems like a good sign.

Positive vibes from New Jersey as well.~,:^)

Your pal,
Rick

Bonnie said...

Maybe you're right Rick... maybe opportunity is knocking!

Thanks Birdie. It's true, I love them and I love to sing to the birds. So maybe they're pecking a love note to me in the windowframe.