Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sunrises, Sunsets & Everything In Between






The cold winds blew me across deserts and prairies, past buttes and antelopes. They deposited me in the juniper-scented foothills of the Sandia Mountains, under a wide warm watermelon sunset.

I played with my 2 year old grandson, and ate green chile rellenos. I smiled and my heart grew two sizes, one for each of his years of grandma-loving life.

On the tiring long drive home, I stopped at the home of fellow bloggarina, Birdie (www.lapajaro.com). We spent just enough time together to ensure that there would be future visits and interesting gifts exchanged. Not enough time, but just enough. We discovered how much we have in common, including our hairdos and furniture! I love her eyes. All three of her birds nipped my fingers softly. My scabbed hands bear the evidence of the visit. Frankie the Pig was out at a friend's house.

We arrived back in the land of deer, foxes and Pikes Peak. No dog greeted us at our lonely door. But in a reminder of the constant renewal of life, the two bunny boys were overjoyed at our return. So was our elderly limping cat.

Life's cycles are working overtime on my behalf. Losing a father, finally meeting a new friend, missing my dog terribly, loving my two young rambunctious bunnies, playing with a little grandson, helping to ease my cat's last few months, supporting my nephew as he mourns the death of his best lifelong friend. Discontinuing with an important teacher and gaining a surprise new teacher out of the blue.

Sunrises, sunsets, and everything in between. I feel alive!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I had such a wonderful time with you and your sweetie, Bonnie. I'm so glad you visited, even though I was a bit tired and frazzled from all my own life cycle turns of phrase.

You are the BEST and I can't wait to meet up again!

Bonnie said...

Birdie, we were all frazzled at once ... the long weekend had some stressful elements for us, as well as playing-with-babies elements. But all that doesn't really matter, making contact in person was good!

!! hugs !!

Karen M said...

Wow! It's really lovely to see such a wonderful picture of the two of you together... probably there is more of the best spirit of life in that one photo than almost any other I can think of.

The rest of the photos are great, too, though. ;~)

Bonnie said...

Thanks, Karen! Nice to have you visit my new place. The only way that photo could have been improved is if YOU were in it too!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry, Bonnie. Glad you had a special visit. The kid is just beautiful. So are your friend and her bird.

Merry Christmas. It's been a tough year for a lot of us (this fills me in on your travails). I am honored to be in the orbit Wandering Willow.

Anonymous said...

Minor Correction: Para. 2-- ...the "internet" orbit "of the" Wandering Willow.

MAJOR Correction: Para. 1--So are "YOU," your friend, etc.~,:^)

And, next time you are in New Jersey, please visit I and mine. The Mullins of Sopranoland will show you and yours what Garden State chilies are all about (we grow our own!).

Really beautiful grandson!

Bonnie said...

Hey, thanks Rick! I'll have to check out your blog in a more than passing way. I see you over at Birdie's place, but haven't taken the time to really get into other people's blogs. I DO get to NJ now and then... my family lives in a neighboring state, so I get there regularly.

Anonymous said...

It's been all I can do to maintain order at the Patteran Pages recently & my attention to my friends' blogs has fallen off woefully. So - good to see you making an appearance, Bonnie, just before the turning of the year. As you say, sunrises & sunsets - mutabile semper - in 2006. I wish you a peaceful, purposeful, healthy & fulfilling 2007. I look forward to sharing some of it with you, here & at the PP.