Friday, December 15, 2006

Gypsy


Two weeks ago, my beautiful, loving best friend Gypsy died suddenly of a seizure. She wasn't old. She'd been having small seizures for a year.

I'm beginning to get used to walking without my shadow beside me - to going out the door without her rapturous excitement preceding me - to going for a ride in the car alone - to working with clients all by my non-wagging self - to sleeping without hearing her running and barking in her dreams. I'm getting used to being greeted only by a silent house when I come home.

Nobody eats the cat food any more, other than the cat, so I can leave the bowls on the floor now. There isn't much red fur accumulating on the carpet these last two weeks. I haven't vacuumed as much. I don't have to stop what I'm doing every afternoon to spend five minutes quietly hugging the dog any more. That gives me more time to work.

I wonder if maybe the afternoon hugs were for my benefit.

I never wanted to be accustomed to this.


5 comments:

Carroll said...

Bonnie, again, I'm so sorry. She was such a beauty! What a hole there must be in your heart right now.

Hugs to you, my friend!

Visual-Voice said...

so sorry you lost your Gypsy. I know how difficult it is to lose a furry footed friend. Be well.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Bonnie.

I haven't had a dog since my long-time boyhood companion Joshua. He died a long time ago, but I'll always remember how that felt.

A soulful pooch by the looks of the photo.

Bonnie said...

Thanks, one and all. You are right on all counts. I'm getting back to functioning normally now.

Karen M said...

So sorry, Bonnie, to hear about this loss and your other trials, too.