Thursday, June 14, 2007

Part 2 - Driving Through Navajo Country



I drove for hours and hours and hours and hours on a long, straight road with very little other traffic. This part of the world is built of prickly hills and red mesas and camouflaged wildlife. It was an exciting diversion when I passed a truck that seems to have hit another truck, and somehow boxes were spilled all over the highway. Those metallic sheets in the photo are the fallen-over sides of two long trucks. It was hard to figure out exactly what happened, but it sure was fun to have something else to look at and think about!

As you can see, Monk was clearly bored by it all, looking the other direction as we passed.

My radio was tuned to a Navajo station around this area. I love to listen to that language, so unique, so otherworldly. Between drumming songs and ancient country western songs, the announcer will say things such as: Ah nak'ka watta hotah BUDDY'S AUTO SHOP eenahyay. I just made up the Navajo words, there, but that's about how it sounds. I always hope that, if I listen long enough, I will start to know what they're saying. And the longer I drive through that kind of country, the more possible the hope seems.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're living my dream here, Bonnie. I'll have to invest in the winnebago soon or I'll be crossing the States on a walking frame!

Bonnie said...

Now THAT'S an interesting visual image!!! Don't forget your Monty Python drool bucket.

You'd be better off renting your winnebago after you get here. It's not expensive.