Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Zen Spider Web

June 27, 2004 - Solomon's Island, Maryland

A spider hangs in an invisible web, draped between shady sycamore branches by the river’s edge. I’m confident, I have faith, that there IS a web, but all I can see is a spider, suspended, encircled by branches. All traces of its methods of arrival, departure and support are obliterated by a trick of the overhanging shadow.

The spider herself weaves and hunts and eats as she always has. What’s required still must be done, no matter what the status of light vs. dark. Surely she can see her web better at some times than at others; regardless, she goes about her business. As in the old Zen saying, “Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.”
Is it myself she’s mirroring, hanging in suspense? I can’t see what supports me, nor can I see where I’m headed. Less and less of my past remains, and none of my future is sure.


Time to chop wood and carry water.

~ Wandering Willow ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

more info on: outdoor patio lighting