Monday, June 13, 2005

Losing a Beloved Pet

Within the past 24 hours, I've heard of a friend whose beloved pet bird died, and one whose beloved cat died. Both of them are grieving deeply. With each story, I look again at my darling buddy, my 17 year old cat, Puff. Seventeen cat years equals about 100 human years.

When my former cat Frankie died, our aged beagle was devastated. I had to get another cat soon to keep the dog from dying of a broken heart. I went two weeks later to the Humane Society to rescue a needy kitten. There were dozens to choose from that day. Rows of cages contained cute, pretty kittens all sleeping or sitting and watching for a new family.


The last cage on the top row housed a little orange-and-white medium-hair kitten who was wide awake. When she saw me, she started jumping and doing somersaults, trying to entice me to play. A little white paw reached out to flag me down. I approached, and she stopped jumping and started purring loudly, rubbing against the bars. I turned to look at the rest of the kittens. "Mew! Mew!" Her petite little meows objected to my leaving. When I turned back, she purred again, and batted at me. I stayed to play, watching her somersaulting antics. If I looked away toward the other dozing kittens, she became outraged. "MEW! MEW!!!" If I looked back at her: “PURRR!!!” It turns out that I am an obedient slave to adorable balls of fluff.

Puff and the dog bonded instantly. Our new little kitten gave a tongue bath to that smelly, fat, old ecstatic dog that night and every night for the rest of the dog’s life.

Puff has been a bundle of love all along. I offer as proof the orange spot on her back that is in the shape of a perfect heart. Whenever we have people over, she takes turns sitting in each person’s lap, purring. If somebody is sick, she sits on their lap, purring until they get better. The few times I’ve had a devastating case of the flu, she stays with me on the couch for the week or two until I’m well. One time Gary and I had a fight and I felt terrible. She lay on my chest all night, one paw on each side of my face, purring into my heart. That’s the only time she’s slept on me at night.

Her taste in people and hobbies is impeccable. After nursing me through my divorce with plenty of walks together and lots of purring, she accompanied me to Colorado. Eventually I met Gary Immediately she fell in love with him and became Gary’s cat. I call her his other wife. When we married, I got a piano, and Puff took up playing. In the middle of the night, she’d jump up on the keyboard and start walking around. She still does that when things become too boring for her. If I start playing, she will also hop up and share in the music. She loves to sniff flowers too.

These days she is too arthritic to accompany us on walks. Instead, on nice summer evenings Gary and I pack up the dog and cat and drive to the ice cream shop. Puff and Gypsy share a little dish of vanilla ice cream. We all sit in the back of the car with the hatch up, enjoying our peaceful treat time together.

It’s heartbreaking to see her looking so skeletal and ragged. She’s deaf now, always in pain, and gets confused a lot. But she's still purring! It can be harder in some ways to lose a beloved pet, an inter-species friendship, than to lose a person. Animals see the best in you, and love unconditionally. People relationships take work. Pet relationships are a sharing of love and contentment. Losing an animal is losing a being of purity and innocence, one who gave only joy in their life. Something hurts terribly when we lose a person, but something different hurts terribly when we lose an animal friend. I am trying to prepare myself, but I don’t look forward to losing Puff.
* * * * * *

6 comments:

Roberta S said...

It is rather hard to explain to those who don't have pets why our pets are so special to us and their loss so hard to bare, but you have articulated it in the best way.

I like to think and truly believe if paradise is reserved for the pure of heart, those who love without malice, who ask for nothing and give so much, the true and unfailing, than all my deceased pets are already there. Like I said when my beloved basset-hound died. "Dear Lord, make room for Davy-Dog. There is none on this earth more worthy than he. Amen."

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. No better time than now to learn about poor credit home loan http://thehomemortgageguide.com STOP renting now, Find out how! poor credit home loan

Anonymous said...

Help Your Pet Cope With Stress Caused By Loud Noises:
Which is the noisiest species of all? Nope not the lions, or the elephants, or the geese? it's US HUMANS, our voices were not enough, we started making music and creating musical instruments to help us being louder.
Link to this site: pet and owner gift basket
http://pet-faq.info/

Anonymous said...

IS YOUR DOG FAT:
Obesity is one of the greatest health concerns facing dogs, you can and should do something about it right now.
Link to this site: pet and owner gift basket
http://pet-faq.info/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the very well writeen tribute to Puff as I lose my beloved Trixie cat of 16 years, the sweetest, most loving, comforting cat in the world. It is a very sad day but she and I talked and we both understand. I will miss her but she said it is ok to help a fellow feline friend in need of a good home, so I will. But Trixie helped me through some of the most trying times and we shared so many good times, dinners, naps, sleepy nights of rest and comfort, cuddling and joy , she is special, very special. thank you for sharing my pain at her loss.

Anonymous said...

"With your capacity to love your pet comes the necessity to grieve when that "Companion" dies. The death of a Beloved Pet is, without a doubt, a traumatic experience.

Your beautiful Memories are one of the best legacies after the passing of a Pet. Take lots of photos now. Talk about those memories later and evoke your Pet's name. Your Pet entertained, comforted, frustrated but always loved you. " - some things I personally found helpful in helping MY Family deal with the loss of our Pet.
Very excellent Blog, Friend. Hang in there.